the Scots-Irish go to America

I often put on a little Youtube when I'm working at home. This morning, much to my delight, a random little video added the layer of depth that Graeme (Idelle's as-yet-unrequited and confusing love) needed.
This is an enchanting little video about the Scotch Irish going to America after the Irish rebellion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHOyYQ0Wm_I

Neat line about the Germans, English, Irish: When they came to America, they said the British would build a church, the Germans would build a good solid barn that would last, and the Irish would build a whiskey still!

Oh, the millions of tragedies that rolled out from the first and last one... I only know personally one story involving a German barn, but lots of stories of Irish alcoholism and British religious persecution in my own family's 140ish years in Canada.

And here's a really lovely musical follow-up, too. A BBC special on The Scots-Irish musical legacy in the USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN3H2JPqKRY

This little rabbit hole also led me to learn about yet another dreadful English colonial scheme: the Plantation of Ulster in the early 1600s. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulster_Scots_people

I didn't happen on that video on purpose, but I'm so excited that I did watch it, because it's added just the depth I didn't realize I was looking for, to Graeme. It's so neat when the historical research all clicks together to make the story sing. I love the mixing and comparison of cultures my characters get through their time travel, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lesson 5: Beyond Dusty Books: Researching Characters and Plots through Crafting

Living and Writing with Less Money and More Passion in Europe

My Writing Companion