Book titling challenges. ha.

Along the lines of discussing writing craft, maybe some of you could help me with something that's been niggling at me for weeks. I am having trouble with the title of the novella I'm working on, and I want to get it it right because I'm hoping to publish it in August.

I would love to know what to think from an industry historical-romance-titling angle.

INFO:
It's the second of three little books. The first one is Idelle's Inheritance, and the third one is Idelle's Enlightenment. 
(In the first, Idelle travels back to Englightenment-era Edinburgh, and her orange-haired, crackling-with-energy "cousin" Moira comes boldly back to present day Edinburgh with her, and loves it. 
(In the third book, we will finally have Idelle's story of her romance with her slow-starting modern hero, and they'll probably pop back in time for a bit too.)

This second one, I had originally titled as _1__Moira's Modern Mayhem___, though that's a big hokey, isn't it? 
And now I know she's dating a sort of suave, Elon-Musk (with less ego) sort of guy, she's not chaotic at all. She got so much happier and more peaceful once she got to the modern world. She is less at moral conflict now (nearly all her peers in 18th century upperclass society in Edinburgh had earned their money from the slave trade, and she could not come to peace with that). And she's found her perfect match -- a man she can be fully herself with. Intelligent, brave, fiery, committed to the good of others in society. He's super-brilliant and the same way, so there's no conflict for her. It works. Well I mean there are conflicts of course... like how to broach the topic of being 220-years from the past, and she makes up _so_ many lies to cover it. They go on a fabulous date/work trip to Provence. It's fun.

Anyway. Since first one felt too hokey, and she wasn't causing Mayhem after all, then I tried
_2__Ms. Moira Gets Modern___ (because Moira is definitely a feminist and would prefer Ms. I think, to Miss, given the choice)
and a friend who drafted a (funny) cover thought it was _3__Moira Goes Modern___ instead of "Gets."
And a Facebook friend suggested _4__Miss Moira Gets Modern___ or maybe _5__Miss Moira Goes Modern___sounds better than Ms., which I have to agree with... More pickupable as a romance, even if Moira DOES succeed in getting people to call her "Ms." within the pages.
So anyway. I'm totally confused. I also tried.
_6__Moira Modernizes___ and
_7__Moira's Modernization___, but, mm, kinda ick I think.
Anybody have ideas? Which one of 1 to 7 is best, or do you have a better idea? 

Please let us know if it's just your opinion (which I value!) or also based on some industry "how to title a book" principles, which I'd sure love to hear about now, and I'm sure others here would love if you have that knowledge, too.

Thank you,
Christa

(P.S. extra babbly amount of information, perhaps you don't need to know to answer the question about Moira's title)

I noticed that I have a definite pattern of titles lately. The books I have recently done or have on the go all seem to go Heroine:Thing. 
I like it. It tells you about the heroine and her journey right away and it sounds good. Maybe it's my trademark. Of course... I can't claim amazing sales on any of these yet, so maybe this post will become a historical document I will laugh at later! 

Like these ones: (first three are time travels with dragons)
Caterina's Renaissance - published
Blodwyn's Redemption - sequel, in progress
Severine's Separation - (that's in the works, maybe title needs to change)
Straight historical:
Rozen's Resillience (medieval, in progress)

My "retro" 90s novels (I think I'm going to add a "sticker" to the front of their covers when I get around to it) were mainly titled based on their locations:
The Celtic Coast Connection
Lanette of the Land
Two Secrets & a Chase

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lesson 5: Beyond Dusty Books: Researching Characters and Plots through Crafting

Living and Writing with Less Money and More Passion in Europe

My Writing Companion